I was born and raised in Fall River, the youngest of five, and the first in my family to attend college. My mother worked in the textile mills and sweatshops. My father was a furniture salesman, who later worked in a textile mill.
I attended Espirito Santo Elementary School, BMC Durfee High School, and Southeastern Massachusetts University (now UMASS Dartmouth), majoring in Political Science with minors in History and Sociology.
I am proudly the 5th member of my family to serve in the military. I was in the US Army from 1966-1969, including a one-year tour of duty in South Vietnam (1967-1968). I was Honorably Discharged with the rank of sergeant E-5 in 1969.
Unlike our present mayor, I am a homeowner and taxpayer in the city of Fall River.
Here is a sampling of my community involvement:
- President—Coalition for Responsible Siting of LNG Facilities
- Chairman—Coalition to Stop the New BFI Dump
- Vice-President—Flint Neighborhood Association
- Member—Green Futures
- Member—Coalition for Social Justice
- Member—City of Fall River – Weaver’s Cove Reuse Task Force
- Member—City of Fall River – Brightman Street Bridge Reuse Task Force
- Allison Walsh Environmental Advocate of the Year Award, 2011, by Save the Bay
- Great Egret Environmental Award, 2011, by Save Bristol Harbor
- Veterans Services—Bristol Community College
- Licensed History Teacher—grades 5 – 12
- History Teacher—Metro South Academy Alternative School
- Substitute Teacher—Fall River Public Schools
- Career Specialist, School-to-Careers—Canton, Dedham & Norwood High Schools
- ESL Tutor—Barnstable Public Schools
- Track Coach—Barnstable High School
- Social Worker—Mass DSS, Mass DYS, New Bedford Child & Family Services